Glenwood Springs, a charming mountain town in Colorado, is famed for its natural hot springs, attracting visitors from around the world. Whether you’re seeking relaxation or adventure, Glenwood Springs has a hot spring for everyone. In this guide, we’ll dive into the three best hot springs in Glenwood Springs and the surrounding area, providing you with all the essential information for a memorable visit.
Table of Contents
1. Glenwood Hot Springs Resort
At the heart of Glenwood Springs lies the historic Glenwood Hot Springs Resort. This iconic destination has been a wellness retreat for over a century. The resort is home to one of the largest natural hot springs pools in the world, offering both therapeutic and recreational benefits to its visitors.
- Location and Features: Central Glenwood Springs; features a large main pool and a smaller therapy pool.
- Hours and Admission: Open year-round; admission ranges from $18 to $30, with discounts for children and seniors.
- Amenities: Includes locker rooms, showers, a poolside grill, and towel rentals.
Learn more on their website: https://www.hotspringspool.com/
2. Iron Mountain Hot Springs
For those seeking a more intimate and scenic experience, Iron Mountain Hot Springs is the perfect choice. Nestled along the Colorado River, this serene location offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and a variety of pools to choose from, each with its own temperature setting. It’s definitely one of the best hot springs in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
- Location and Features: Along the Colorado River; 16 individual pools with varying temperatures.
- Hours and Admission: Open daily; adult admission around $30, check the website for current pricing.
- Amenities: Features a café, locker rooms, and a gift shop.
Learn more on their website: https://www.ironmountainhotsprings.com/
3. Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves
Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves provide a unique and historical experience. These natural underground steam baths, used by the Ute Indians for their healing properties, offer a tranquil escape and a journey back in time. The geothermal steam creates an invigorating natural sauna.
- Location and Features: Near downtown Glenwood Springs; natural underground steam baths.
- Hours and Admission: Open throughout the week; entry fees around $15 to $20.
- Amenities: Offers spa services, a relaxation lounge, and a gift shop.
Learn more on their website: https://yampahspa.com/
History of Glenwood Springs and Its Hot Springs
Glenwood Springs has a rich history intertwined with its hot springs. The Ute Indians originally discovered these healing waters, calling them “Yampah,” meaning “big medicine.” In the late 19th century, these springs became a popular destination for health-seekers.
Notably, Glenwood Hot Springs Resort was frequented by President Theodore Roosevelt. The town’s development has always been closely linked to these natural wonders, making it a historic and cultural landmark in Colorado.
5 Tips for Visiting the Best Hot Springs in Glenwood Springs, Colorado
To make the most of your hot springs experience in Glenwood Springs, consider the following tips:
- Timing: Visit during weekdays or off-peak seasons to avoid crowds. Reserve a spot ahead of time to ensure you can visit.
- Accommodations: Glenwood Springs offers a range of lodging options; book in advance, especially during peak seasons.
- Hydration: Stay hydrated, as the warm waters can dehydrate you more quickly.
- Spa Option: Don’t forget about spa services like massages, facials, steam baths, and more. Book in advance to ensure you can fit them into your visit.
- Respect the Environment: Follow all guidelines to help preserve the natural beauty and integrity of the hot springs.
Best Hot Springs in Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Glenwood Springs’ hot springs are more than just a tourist attraction; they are a blend of natural wonder, historical significance, and a source of rejuvenation. Whether you’re basking in the large pools of Glenwood Hot Springs Resort, enjoying the scenic tranquility of Iron Mountain Hot Springs, or exploring the ancient Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves, your visit to these hot springs will be an unforgettable part of your Colorado adventure.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your question is not addressed below, leave a comment and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible. We hope you enjoy your visit to three of the best hot springs in Glenwood Springs!
Q: Which hot springs are the best in Glenwood?
A: Glenwood Hot Springs Resort, Iron Mountain Hot Springs, and Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves are the top picks, each offering unique experiences.
Q: How much does it cost to go to Glenwood Hot Springs?
A: Admission prices range from $18 to $30, varying by age and season. Other hot springs in Glenwood Springs usually cost more.
Q: What is the biggest natural hot spring in Colorado?
A: Glenwood Hot Springs Resort boasts one of the largest natural hot springs pools in the world.
Q: Is Glenwood Springs the largest hot springs in the world?
A: Glenwood Hot Springs Resort is one of the largest in the world, but not the largest.
Q: Are there showers at Glenwood Hot Springs?
A: Yes, there are showers and locker rooms available for guests at all three of the best Hot Springs in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
Q: Does Glenwood Springs have natural hot springs?
A: Absolutely, Glenwood Springs is renowned for its natural hot springs, with several resorts built around them. They are all ‘improved’ and not located in their natural state.
Q: Do you need a reservation to swim at Glenwood Hot Springs?
A: Reservations are not typically required, but it’s advisable to check their website for any changes due to seasonal demand or special events.
Q: Why is Glenwood Springs famous?
A: Glenwood Springs is famous for its natural hot springs, stunning mountain scenery, and rich history, including being a favorite destination of President Theodore Roosevelt.