Brighton, CO – The Park County Coroner’s Office confirmed on July 7, 2023, the discovery of a deceased individual near Guanella Pass, identified as 20-year-old Isabelle Walker from Brighton, Colorado.
Walker was reported missing since June 26, 2023, after she was last seen north of Grant, Colorado, where she was dropped off for a hike on a trail along the scenic Guanella Pass. A widespread search had been initiated, with information widely shared across social media platforms and local communities.
“We know many people have been sharing information on social media and helping look for her since she was reported missing,” said a spokesperson for the Park County Coroner’s Office. “We want to thank everyone for their efforts on behalf of the family.”
The coroner’s office has confirmed that Walker’s identity was scientifically verified, but the investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death is ongoing.
In this challenging time, the office has requested the public respect the family’s need for privacy as they navigate this tragic loss.
Mountain Safety Reminders
The unfortunate incident underscores the potential risks associated with mountain hiking, even for experienced outdoor enthusiasts. For those planning such adventures, it’s essential to take the following safety precautions:
- Plan Ahead: Always let someone know where you’re going and when you plan to return. It’s also wise to research the trail conditions and weather forecast before heading out.
- Pack Essentials: Carry enough water, food, warm clothing, a map, a compass, a first-aid kit, a flashlight or headlamp, and a whistle.
- Stay on Designated Trails: Veering off established paths can lead to getting lost and can also damage the environment.
- Check the Weather: Weather in mountainous regions can change rapidly. Make sure to check the forecast before setting out and be prepared for all types of weather.
- Know Your Limits: It’s essential to know your physical limitations and not push beyond them. Turn back if conditions are too difficult.
- Stay Alert: Be aware of your surroundings, including changes in the weather, trail conditions, and your own health.
Walker’s tragic death is a somber reminder of the importance of prioritizing safety while enjoying Colorado’s beautiful outdoor landscapes. Learn more in our comprehensive mountain safety guide.
As the investigation continues, the community holds her family in thought during this difficult time.